Pages

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Hello In There, Hello


One thing I had not done on this journey of descent was to stand on the street corner with a cardboard sign. Or any sort of panhandling actually. It seemed the experience would not be complete without that. I've talked with many homeless and nomadic people who have done it and I wanted to know what it felt like.

The first attempt was an epic fail. I was clueless, it was getting dark, no traffic at all, poor location. The humbling and humiliating realization that there's more to this than you'd think. It's actually a somewhat skilled job... and a fine art. Does one sit, stand? Wave the sign around a bit or keep still? Smile at people? Look sad and desperate?

Next morning I walked past the patch of stinging nettles on the way down to the beach and said "ah ha." I picked about 8 bags (and did a lot of impromptu foraging education for curious folks walking by). My second panhandling attempt was during the evening rush at the entrance to a supermarket and I added a second sign to my starving writer one: "In return I offer Fresh Nettles!" Can't say I was swamped but several people walked over after parking their cars, chatted for a bit, gave me a donation - and only one woman was interested in nettles so I gave her two. I got $16 plus change and lots of good conversation. Folks were interested in what I was doing and why -- in hearing my story and telling theirs. Some had been homeless in the past and knew what it was like to sit on a street corner with a sign.

Earlier that day in a parking lot, a guy noticed my VT plates and I talked with him for an hour. He had also lived in his car for some time, years ago, and had even stood on street corners with signs. He said he didn't like the way people looked at him when he did that (he's black). And later, I spoke with a homeless man (also black) here in town who invited me to join him someday at The Ramp – which is apparently The Place to panhandle – meaning the off ramp from the freeway. I haven't yet taken him up on his offer but want to at some point. He hadn't yet counted the money he had collected that day but it looked like he had at least $70 from about four hours of working The Ramp. Well gee.

As to the experience... yes, it felt weird. Yes somewhat humiliating, especially initially (a bit better with nettles to offer). People driving by had no idea of my story, who I was, why I was doing this. It was great when folks came over to chat and could hear all that. And this is exactly why I wanted to experience this – so I could feel those emotions, and so I can truly, from the heart, write it all into a story and / or article and tell everyone: next time you see a homeless person, or a person on a corner with a cardboard sign, or whomever, anyone at all -- remember this:  there IS a real person in there, with a human brain and human feelings and a human story. And that you don't know at all what that story might be.

Starbucks has lately been playing the John Prine song "Hello In There" which is about old people, but really could just as well be about homeless people – or any people.
"So if you're walking down the street sometime
And spot some hollow ancient eyes,
Please don't just pass 'em by and stare
As if you didn't care, say, "Hello in there, hello."

One other thing I have reminded people about -- to stop and remember that so many of our great artists, recording artists, movie stars, all the creative types, were at one time or another homeless nomads, sleeping in cars, washing their hair in gas station bathroom sinks, etc. How would you feel if you knew you'd run Bob Dylan or Jewel or JK Rowling out of town thinking they were "just a vagrant?" When I say this everyone pauses. "I never thought about that," they say. Well, neither did I, really, til I made this journey.

Hello.

*****
Postscript: my good friend Mark who leads spiritual workshops said that he thought this would be a great assignment for his students sometime! I agree. A great exercise for anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment